Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The big bread flop.

This morning I thought I would try to make a loaf of gluten, dairy and egg free bread.  I will tell you that this is not for the faint hearted.  First mistake I made is not having exactly the right flour blend.  Ok, so I like buckwheat pancakes and I had buckwheat flour(not to be confused with wheat flour, buckwheat is gluten free) and rice flour, also tapioca starch, and some other things that go in this type of bread.  My thought I will wing it and see how it turns out.  Before you think I made up my own recipe, no I did not.  I followed a recipe just substituted other flours.  I mixed it all up and put in the pan and let is rise.  After an hour of "rising" somewhat, I put it in the oven for an hour.  Boy did that bread smell good, the yeasty smell flowed through the house and my mouth watered with a desire to taste it.  Unfortunately it wasn't done in time to cool off for lunch so I had lunch meat and a salad.  Later on when it was cool enough I excitedly cut into.  The texture was pretty dense, more than I expected. I think the color made me start to question.It was this muddy gray looking tint but I was not to be put off.   I put it up to my face and took a deep breath in, the smell was good and so I bit into it.  That folks was my second mistake, I should have taken it directly from the oven to the garbage, the taste was awful to say the least.  I did not enjoy it, it wasn't the delectable taste I was looking for.  I don't know anyone who would have eaten it.   Yes I threw that sad looking lump of expensive flours away, but if all works out I will try again.  I am not giving up because I know there is just the right bread recipe out there for me.  And, when I make it I will use exactly what it calls for unless of course there are eggs and dairy and then I know what to do about that.

Yes, that was my excitement for the day in my quest to not live without.

0 comments:

Post a Comment